Amidst a ranging pandemic and looming economic downturn, the EU has designed a much-needed recovery package as part of its 2021 budget. However, conflict over rule of law led to a crisis in which Hungary and Poland vetoed the budget. Capucine explores the ominous underlying question that this crisis reflects and that the EU will eventually have to face: how to manage contrasting understandings of democracy within the union, when it is itself built upon the unifying concept of liberal democracy and the rule of law?
- Ukraine: How Russia’s Raucous Resurgence Is Becoming Increasingly Ruthless and Reckless
- The Spread of Misinformation Reveals Existing Fears and the Polarisation of Society
- The Precedent Set by Successful Russian Aggression
- How share buybacks have led to risky market overvaluation
- The Case for the Relevance of Multilateral Summits